Friday, May 13, 2005

Perkin Warbeck and the Princes in the Tower

I'm sorry I haven't been updating this blog much recently. It's been a very busy couple of months, and I just haven't had time.

Last night I watched part of a Channel Four programme on Perkin Warbeck, the man who pretended to be Richard, Duke of York. The Princes in the Tower are a subject that has always interested me (I remain convinced that Richard III was responsible for their deaths). This programme, however, was rubbish. It was an imaginative reconstruction of Warbeck's interrogation when imprisoned in the Tower of London by Henry VII. From the very beginning it admitted that there is no record of this interrogation, so no-one actually knows what was said. So, the programme's take, that this man almost certainly was Richard, whilst making for okay drama, has no historical validity. This should have gone out as a drama, not under the umbrella of C4's historical programming. I stopped watching after 45 minutes.

No comments: